RT @ebonytbawg: Sharing with you today my love for @skinstitut skincare ! Full review on the blog, link vi… https://t.co/bP4PDnGTo4 https:/…
Style icon for today elyseknowlzy keeping it natural and laid back. https://t.co/wqL8xl5Nqk
LONG HAUL FLIGHT SKIN TIPS || ALWAYS PREP! Sometimes we don’t think about the after effects of… https://t.co/fNLjbTpAMG
Find out how the beautiful @carolinehgroth cured her 15 years of struggle with cystic acne using… https://t.co/1HDMOOOvsG
The final week of our 5 a-day skin transformation challenge! Keep those transformation images… https://t.co/YWMlBJ4glG
Well hello there, If you have been burning the candle at both ends, getting carried away with the benefits of coconut oil and winter sunshine or thinking that ‘one more champers darling’ won’t hurt your complexion. I have but two words to say to you my lovelies. Think. Again. Sure, while those wild times may seem like fun, and so often in the ‘wisdom’ of our youth’ we believe that wrinkles are for the oldies (or older than we are at the present point in town) but take heed from one Myth Minx that know all about Skin. What we sow now, we will reap the benefits of in years to come…especially, when it comes to our complexion. IF you are wanting to avoid those sure fire skin wreckers, and plan on maintaining those youthful looks for a long time to come; YOU MUST Avoid these ways to wreck your skin. Next Stop: Wriinkle Town. Here are my Top 6 Things that wreck your skin.
1. TANS that don’t come from a can. Once upon a time it was thought it was “hot” to look like a piece of beef jerky. In the 80’s women would slather their bodies in a combination of oil and vinegar and spend the entire day baking in the sun. Dr’s and scientists have since let us know that such sun worshipping will only put us on the path to premature aging -- and skin cancer. Whilst a small amount of sunlight is essential to produce vitamin D and protect us from illness, prolonged exposure in direct sun can cause cell trauma. This can lead to cell mutations and over time possible skin cancer. Whilst applying SPF will protect our skin from burning, constant exposure to UV rays can lead to excess UV radiation that the skin cells simply cannot cope with. This is what causes the damage. Over time the skin can appear mottled with pigmentation or even white areas of hypo pigment can appear, a sign of damage to the melanocyte cells. Collagen and elastin damage occurs and we see the typical criss-cross patterns of wrinkles across the sun-exposed areas. If you’re going to be outside in the sun, always wear protective clothing and a wide-brimmed hat, seek the shade, wear sunscreen, and reapply at least every 2 hours, more if swimming or sweating. Never expose your face to more than 2 hrs. of direct sunlight.
2. Smoking – are you joking? We know about the health risks of smoking, including lung cancer, emphysema, and heart disease but smoking will also lead to dull, sallow skin, congestion and wrinkles. Smoking depletes vital skin nutrients such as vitamin C which is essential for collagen production. Without essential vitamin C the body cannot maintain healthy collagen products resulting in lines, wrinkles and capillaries. Smoking also causes lipofuscion or sallowness of the skin due free radical damage to the cells and slows wound healing. Heavy smokers can develop blackheads and congestion across the upper cheeks due to poor lymphatics.
3. OCC cleansing – It’s being ‘OCD’ with cleansers Washing your face with an appropriate cleanser for your skin type is important to wash away daily grime, sebaceous matter and makeup. However, The skin is meant to have a natural protective barrier consists of oils, lipids and moisture to keep the skin hydrated and protect the skin from foreign invaders. Scrubbing and cleansing until the skin feels stripped and dry or as we traditionally call squeaky clean is a tell-tale sign of over cleansing. This can cause dehydration and sensitivity of the skin which can ultimately lead to premature ageing. Be clean but not squeaky!
4. Picking on your sore spots. Aggressive squeezing of inflamed lesions of the skin can lead to more inflammation. This in turn can lead to hyper pigmentation or brown markings in the skin which are left behind as a result of too much trauma in the skin. Deep picking and squeezing can even lead to permanent scarring and pitting in the skin. If you are concerned about breakout always visit a professional skincare advice and treatments to safely zap away those zits.
5. Being A Stress Head Don’t stress the small stuff! Stress really does show in your skin. Stress can cause fluctuations in hormones and can even affect the immune response of the skin. Due to these chemical changes in the body at times of stress the skin becomes sensitised and more reactive than normal to certain skincare products. When you’re stressed it is not a good time to start a new product regime or course of skin treatments. This can also lead to flare ups of psoriasis, eczema and rosacea as well as acne. Chronic stress can lead to the body requiring higher nutrients levels, particularly stress busting nutrients such as vitamin B and vitamin C. Upping these vitamins in the diet can be beneficial as long term stress heads can develop premature ageing and even pigmentation in the skin Chillax, turn to camomile tea and yoga not to the vino bottle!
6 Overindulging When you gain a lot of weight due to too much over indulgence this causes the skin to stretch. Weight loss can therefore lead to a loss of firmness in the skin which is due to loss of elasticity. Indulging in high saturated fats and Trans fats such as those found in processed foods, takeaways and fast foods can lead to stiffening of the cell membrane, possible congestion and premature ageing. Combine these fats with high sugar consumption (think doughnuts and cupcakes) and you are on the fast road to Wrinkledom. Sugar is one of the most ageing substances we can put into the body. Eat junk and your skin will look exactly that. So there we have it. Be a good minx and not so ‘wreck less’ with your skin in these six key areas and you’ll be much closer to a healthy body, and healthy radiant skin.